Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Boettner quote on "Calvinism"

It was Calvin who wrought out this system of theological thought with such logical clearness and emphasis that it has ever since borne his name. He did not, of course, originate the system but only set forth what appeared to him to shine forth so clearly from the pages of Holy Scripture. Augustine had taught the essentials of the system a thousand years before Calvin was born, and the whole body of the leaders of the Reformation movement taught the same. But it was given to Calvin with his deep knowledge of Scripture, his keen intellect and systematizing genius, to set forth and defend these truths more clearly and ably than had ever been done before.

We call this system of doctrine "Calvinism," and accept the term "Calvinist" as our badge of honor; yet names are mere conveniences. "We might," says Warburton, "quite as appropriately, and with equally as much reason, call gravitation 'Newtonism,' because the principles of gravitation were first dearly demonstrated by the great philosopher Newton. Men had been fully conversant with the facts of gravitation for long ages before Newton was born. These facts had indeed been visible from the first days of creation, inasmuch as gravitation was one of the laws which God ordained for the governing of the universe. But the principles of gravitation were not fully known, and the far-reaching effects of its power and influence were not understood until they were discovered by Sir Isaac Newton. So, too, was it with what men call Calvinism. The inherent principles of it had been in existence for long ages before Calvin was born. They had indeed been visible as patent factors in the world's history from the time of man's creation. But inasmuch as it was Calvin who first formulated these principles into a more or less complete system, that system, or creed, if you will, and likewise those principles which are embodied in it, came to bear his name."
- "The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination" by Loraine Boettner

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this Joshua. Is this the entirety of the article, or was there more? If so, could you e-mail it to me?

Charis and Shalom,
Alison

Joshua Klein said...

Its actually a book. you can read it free online here...
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/boettner/predest.html
or
purchase it at... http://www.monergismbooks.com/The-Reformed-Doctrine-of-Predestination-p-16354.html
It is a classic! It's a defense of what is called "Calvinism". (He defends Covenant Theology as well, which I do not agree with, however.)

Unknown said...

Just as Martin Luther was a heretic for teachings the necessity of the sacraments for salvation, John Calvin was also a heretic. Calvin taught infant baptism and that the Sacraments were EQUAL with the Word of God. Calvin and Luther BOTH taught baptismal regeneration. Calvin even had people killed for disagreeing with his heresy on infant baptism. So many people today are naive of such men. I've been reading Christian books for years that quote Martin Luther and John Calvin, come to find out they both endorsed the sacraments and infant baptism. There is NO way that such men could be saved because they ADDED works to faith, which is no faith at all. Calvin taught that believers must persevere to the end to be saved. This is works salvation. The reformation was plagued with the remnants of Catholicism, enough to pervert the simple plan of salvation. As I have often said --Martin Luther came out of Catholicism, but Catholicism didn't come out of Martin Luther. The same can definitely be said of John Calvin. Why is it that so many people feel compelled to join existing religions rather than read the Word of God for themselves? It is clear to any knowledgeable Bible student that the "great whore" of Revelation is likely Catholicism.


Calvin Taught Baptismal Regeneration

Listen to the heretic, John Calvin, teach baptismal regeneration (i.e., the unbiblical teaching that a person must be baptized in order to go to Heaven). John Calvin was very Catholic in his doctrines...

"Consider Calvin: “But as baptism is a solemn recognition by which God introduces his children into the possession of life [e.g., regeneration], a true and effectual sealing of the promise, a pledge of sacred union with Christ, it is justly said to be the entrance and reception into the church. And as the instruments of the Holy Spirit are not dead, God truly performs and effects by baptism what he figures.” Elsewhere, Calvin wrote, “There is a union complementary with the thing figured, lest the sign be empty, because that which the Lord represents in sign he effects at the same time, and executes in us by the power of the Spirit . . . What indeed do we abrogate or take away from God when we teach that he acts through his instruments, indeed, he alone . . . God works . . . through the sacraments as instruments… The Spirit is the author, the sacrament is truly the instrument used.” -SOURCE

The Bible does NOT teach baptismal regeneration. Baptism will just get you wet, it has NO saving power.


Calvin Taught Limited Atonement

John Calvin taught that Jesus only died for saved people. Sadly, Charles Spurgeon bought into this lie of Calvin. Although I fully understand the viewpoint, it is unbiblical. The Bible teaches universal atonement. Like it or not, the Word of God is our Final Authority, NOT Spurgeon or any other man. 1st John 2:2 reads, ""And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world." 2nd Corinthians 5:15, "And that he died for all..." We read in 1st Timothy 1:15, "This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. The Word of God proclaims that Christ came to save sinners, not just certain sinners. Listen to the plain teaching of 2nd peter 3:9, "The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." This Scripture clearly reveals that it is possible for ALL men to repent. God is NOT willing for any to perish. If Calvinism is correct, then how can you reconcile God's desire for all men to repent if He only predestinates certain of them to salvation? Calvinism makes no sense at all.


Calvinism is NOT Biblical Doctrine

Calvin was a heretic who taught that God predestines men to salvation. Calvin taught "selective salvation" (or "unconditional election") where God selects who will be saved and who will not. These are Satanic heresies. Calvin also taught "irresistible grace" where God forces a person to be saved. I once heard a New Evangelical pastor tell me that there is no need to go soulwinning because God decides who gets saved or not. That pastor is an utter fool. He was so lazy and far from God that he adopted Calvin's heresies to justify his carnality and unwillingness to preach the Gospel. If God predestinates men to salvation, then why should we go soulwinning? Why did Paul go door-to-door in Acts 20:20? Why did Jesus give the great commission in Matthew 28:19-20? Do you see how wicked men twist the Bible to justify there own sinful ways.

Clearly, Calvin was somewhat of a Catholic. Here's some of what John Calvin believed...

"God's church and the sacraments are also given in God's grace for the edification of the elect and the good of the world. The church, one through all time, can be known by the preaching and hearing of God's Word and the proper administration of the sacraments. Although the true church is known only to God, the visible church is thoroughly related to it on earth. Officers and leaders in the church should be those individuals who try responsibly to follow in Christian discipleship, but their authority cannot depend on their righteousness. The offices should be only those designated in the New Testament. Sacraments (baptism and the Eucharist) should be celebrated as mysteries in which Christ is spiritually present; in the Eucharist he believed that Christ is present both symbolically and by his spiritual power, which is imparted by his body in heaven to the souls of believers as they partake of the Eucharist. This position, which has been called "dynamic presence," occupies a middle ground between the doctrines of Luther and Zwingli" -1996 Grolier Multimedia Encyclopedia, Copyright 1996 Grolier Interactive, Inc. and Microsoft Encarta 98 Encyclopedia, Copyright 1993-1997 Microsoft Corporation.

Calvinism is NOT a Bible doctrine, but a system of human philosophy (humanism) appealing to the proud mind. Calvinism goes into the realm of human philosophy. Consider first that what we are discussing is called "Calvin-ISM." It is only the opinions of one man. Dr. Loraine Boettner says, "It was Calvin who wrought out this system of theological thought with such logical clearness and emphasis that it has ever since borne his name." That's a big lie. Are you going to tell me that believers were ignorant of the Word of God for 1,500 years until Calvin arrived? How strange that after 1,500 years of Christianity, practically no one had understood the Bible to teach Calvin's doctrine of predestination until he introduced the philosophy. What a strangely hidden doctrine, that New Testament Christians could go for nearly for 1500 years until the days of the reformers, when Calvin developed the doctrine fully. The Bible has always been clear on doctrine. No one had any problems finding the Truth about salvation before Calvin arrived. Likewise, the Bible was also clear on every other Biblical doctrine. God put the cookies of truth on the bottom shelf for us to reach, we don't need Calvin's stepladder (or anyone else's). Heretics always try to convince us that the Truth is way above our heads, out of our reach, and that we need them to help us obtain the Truth. 1st John 2:27 reads, "But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him." All we need is the Word of God and the Holy Spirit to teach us.

Calvin was a Tyrant Monster


Let God Be True, but Every Man a Liar

Romans 3:4 declares, "...let God be true, but every man a liar..." It is woefully tragic that so many professed believers are making the same mistake which the Apostle Paul rebuked the believers at Corinth of making, "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you. Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul? I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name" -1st Corinthians 1:10-15. I am NOT an Arminian or a Calvinist, I am a born again Christian!


Spurgeon and Calvinism

Although Spurgeon claimed to be a Calvinist, it appears that Spurgeon did NOT fully understand the doctrine of "unconditional election" as taught by John Calvin. I agree with Charles Spurgeon's words in the preceding paragraph, but Spurgeon is speaking about works verses grace, and not predestination as Calvin taught. Spurgeon simply believed that man could NOT save himself, but that Salvation was 100% of God. This is Biblical (Mark 10:25-27, "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. And they were astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be saved? And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible). Yet, Spurgeon clearly also believed that "whosoever will" (anyone) could get saved, a view that Calvinists and Hyper-Calvinists do NOT hold. Romans 10:13 plainly teaches, "For WHOSOEVER shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." Spurgeon believed that God absolutely needed to be involved in man's salvation, and this is Biblical. We read in John 6:44, "No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day." But for Calvinists and Hyper-Calvinists to teach that God is "selective" in choosing who will or won't be saved is certainly NOT Biblical. Titus 2:11 clearly teaches, "For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men." Did you read that...ALL men? Spurgeon didn't believe that only certain sinners of God's choosing would be saved. Romans 10:13 plainly teaches that "WHOSOEVER" will may come to be saved (and Spurgeon believed this). John 3:16 proclaims that God loved the WORLD enough to send His only begotten Son to pay for our sins. Calvinism and Hyper-Calvinism are wrong to teach that God chooses who will be saved. I think Spurgeon jumped-the-gun on this issue before fully investigating it because Spurgeon clearly did NOT believe that anyone is predestined to salvation.

John Calvin taught heresy when he taught that God chooses people to be saved. There is NOT one Scripture in the entire Word of God which teaches that God chooses anyone to be saved. The Bible teaches that all believers were predestined to "be conformed to the image of His Son," NOT predestined to salvation ("For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren" -Romans 8:29). This is exactly what Spurgeon believed. In contrast, Calvinism DOES teach predestination unto salvation. God NEVER chooses anyone for salvation, Scriptures such as Acts 17:30 make this abundantly clear ("...but now commandeth all men every where to repent"). Why would God command ALL men to repent if only certain men have been chosen for salvation. There really is NO debate concerning Arminianism, Calvinism, and Hyper-Calvinism if you simply take the Word of God at face value...they're all messed up! The Bible is so clear on all these matters. There are problems with all three views. Arminianism is wrong to teach that a person can lose salvation. Romans 5:15 declares that eternal life is a "FREE GIFT." A gift CANNOT be taken back if it is freely given. Salvation is God's gift to man, paid for by the blood of Jesus (Romans 6:23; Colossians 1:14). Calvinism and Hyper-Calvinism teach "limited atonement" and "selective salvation," which are both Satanic lies. 1st John 2:2 couldn't be any clearer, "And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world." Calvinism is unbiblical heresy!

Salvation is by grace through faith based upon the redemptive work of our Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus took upon Himself the sins of all mankind in His death on the cross, and His resurrection from the dead provides salvation to all who believe. All who receive the Lord Jesus Christ through faith are born again of the Holy Spirit and thereby become the children of God. It is apparent that Spurgeon was only a one-point Calvinist. Spurgeon believed that "whosoever will" can come to Christ to be saved. This eliminates three points of Calvinism. Spurgeon also believed in eternal security, which eliminates the last point of Calvinism. The only Calvinist heresy that Spurgeon bought into, and horribly so, was the unbiblical heresy of limited atonement. Although I fully understand Spurgeon's viewpoint, it is unbiblical. The Bible teaches universal atonement. Clearly, Christ died and shed His blood for ALL humanity. Like it or not, the Word of God is our Final Authority, NOT Spurgeon, Calvin or any other man. 1st John 2:2 reads, ""And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world." 2nd Corinthians 5:15, "And that he died for all..." We read in 1st Timothy 1:15, "This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. The Word of God proclaims that Christ came to save sinners, not just certain sinners. Listen to the plain teaching of 2nd peter 3:9, "The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." This Scripture clearly reveals that it is possible for ALL men to repent. God is NOT willing for any to perish. If Calvinism is correct, then how can you reconcile God's desire for all men to repent if He only predestinates certain of them to salvation? Calvinism makes no sense at all.


Calvin's Folly

Calvin wrote the "Institute's of Christian Religion" when only 27 years old at an impressionable time in history when an organized theology was needed. Calvin has misled so many people that many still consider the writing of the "Institute's" the single most influential book on theology in church history. One wonders what his writing could have achieved in the hearts and minds of men if only he truly had the love of Jesus. His insistent stress upon the awful majesty and righteousness of God drove him to emphasize with equal severity the utter worthlessness of fallen and sinful man. He taught the belief that we are powerless in the salvation act, the belief that man's salvation rests solely upon grace, but only for the elect. Because man is fallen and the human intellect is distorted and has become the instrument of his sin, the consequences of natural theology are idolatrous. The followers of Calvin lived in the delusion that the spirit of Christ worked within them, drawing them toward the perfection that God had called them. Calvin's doctrines had a tendency toward perfectionism and demanded rigorous control over private and social behavior. Calvin never had the humility to acknowledge that those like him who seek to be justified by the law have fallen from grace. Certainly, Calvin was not saved.

In all essentials, Calvin's state was a theocratic dictatorship. Contrary to the teachings of Jesus, he assumed the existence of a capitalist economic system for society and set up his ethics on that basis. Like the lukewarm church of today, he identified good works with the accumulation of riches. According to this perverse logic, God dispenses riches and poverty as He wills. It is not man's merit, or man's toil that gets a person riches, rather it is God's grace and riches are given as an evidence of God's favor.


On the Perseverance of the Saints

Contrary to what most people think, John Calvin didn't teach eternal security at all. Calvin insisted that believers must persevere in faith if they are to remain in grace. He believed that the elect will persevere in faith and continue in grace to ultimate final salvation. These damnable heresies are far from the teachings of the Bible. The very fact that Calvinism requires a saint to "persevere" to the end is damnable heresy. Eternal security is the preservation of the saints, NOT the perseverance of the saints. To "persevere" is works salvation. The cult of Seventh-Day Adventism similarly teaches that a person cannot KNOW they're saved until the final judgment. Biblical salvation is instant and forever, NOT pending of anything. Sadly, even the Salvation Army teaches this damnable heresy (belief # 9 on their official statement of faith). This is a dangerous heresy because it eliminates the FREE GIFT of eternal life. A gift is completely free with NO strings attached. There is NO delay period, or testing period before we get it. We receive eternal life the very moment we trust Christ as our Personal Saviour to forgive our sins. Romans 5:15 and Romans 6:23 declare that eternal life is a "gift" from God. Romans 5:15 even calls it a "free gift." Man's works and efforts have absolutely NOTHING to do with God's salvation. Whether a believer continues in the faith is irrelevant. Either they are saved and can never lose it, or else they aren't saved now and never had it to begin with. You cannot undo your spiritual birth, just as you cannot undo your physical birth. John 3:16 is so clear on the matter of salvation, "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." If a lost sinner simply believes upon Christ, they will never perish.

Arminius didn't really teach anything, he simply refuted the heresies of Calvinism. Although I do agree with the first four refutes of Calvinism by Arminius, I certainly cannot accept his heresy that the believer can lose salvation. Calvin wasn't correct on this issue either. Although I DO agree that a believer can never lose their salvation, NO matter what depth of sin they choose to go into, I do NOT accept the unbiblical heresy by Calvin that we should "persevere" to the end to be saved. In Calvin's commentary on 1st John 3:9, he uses the word "perseverance", clearly stating:

"the hearts of the godly are so effectually governed by the Spirit of God, that through an inflexible disposition they follow his guidance." (John Calvin)

"the power of the Spirit is so effectual, that it necessarily retains us in continual obedience to righteousness." (John Calvin)

This is not eternal security. Rather Perseverance of the Saints is a perseverance in a behavior consistent with that expected of a child of God. However, Calvin failed to accept the FACT that believers DO sin, sometimes horribly so. Sometimes believers go into a life of sin and never get right with God. Their fellowship with God is broken, but their relationship is not. David committed adultery and then killed the woman's husband. David was unrepentant for one year. If David would have died in that unrepentant state, he would have gone straight to Heaven, NOT Hell as Calvin taught. Fortunately for David, he did repent. However, Solomon lived a wicked life of rebellion against God until the end. Calvin's teachings are nonsense. Calvin's teachings are indeed a form of Lordship Salvation. There is much confusion on the last point of Calvinism. Some people believe that Calvin taught unconditional eternal security. Others believe that Calvin taught eternal security conditioned upon the perseverance of the believer. Clearly, from Calvin's own statements, he believed in Lordship Salvation, that a believer cannot simply trust Christ to be saved, but that a life of commitment and perseverance was also necessary as proof of conversion. These are damnable heresies. Although the Bible does teach that a man becomes a new creature in Christ when he is regenerated at Salvation, we cannot always judge that salvation from the outward appearance. Lot by all appearances was an unsaved heathen, but God called Him a righteous man (2nd peter 2:7). There are many believers who willfully live in sin, but that DOESN'T mean that they aren't saved. The critics who deny this truth are adding works to salvation.



The Truth of the Matter

John Calvin was a heretic! Yes, it is true that a person cannot be saved unless God the Holy Spirit is working in their heart, but the Bible plainly teaches that it's the Holy Spirit's task to convict THE WORLD of sin, righteousness, and judgment. Yes, God knew in advance (before the world began) who would one day trust Him, and He predestinated them to be conformed TO THE IMAGE OF HIS SON, but NOT to salvation. God NEVER chooses anyone to be saved. He did predestinate them before the world began, but only because He saw that those people would one day choose of their own free will to be saved. God NEVER forces anyone to be saved, nor does God ever choose anyone to be saved. It is easy to go astray in one's doctrines if we fail to realize that God lives in eternity where there is NO time. Thus, there is NO chronology in God's world, only man's. This is why Revelation speaks of "the Lamb slain before the foundation of the world. This is why the Bible teaches that "a day is as a thousand years and a thousand years as a day with the Lord (2nd Peter 3:8)." Predestination simply means that God was making plans for those whom He knew would one day be saved. The Bible teaches once saved, always saved. How can a man be "unborn" physically or spiritually? Once you've been "born again" (John 3:3), it is irreversible. If a man departs from the faith, it is simply because he never had it to begin with, "They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us" -1st John 2:19. There is nothing taught in the Bible about "perseverance." Christians are all Hell-deserving sinners saved by God's grace. Eternal life is a FREE GIFT paid for in-full by the blood of Jesus. John Calvin was an unsaved heretic and a cruel tyrant, who perverted the Gospel of Christ into a false gospel.

We are NOT supposed to allow men's doctrines to steer us away from the Truth of God's Word. A good Bible teaching or preacher will always steer us towards Christ and the Word of God, NOT away from It. The Apostle Paul was a mature man of God. The carnal believers in the church of Corinth were in a similar situation as many of today's believers, "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you. Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul? I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name" -1st Corinthians 1:10-15. I am NOT an Arminian or a Calvinist, I am a born again Christian! Let this be our stand!

Michael Spotts: . said...

John, welcome to our blogs. I think I read the same post yesterday on Alison's blog.

I wrote something that seems to go well with it: Responding graciously to opponents of Grace"

Hey, Josh, how far are you in this book? Well worth it? I'd like to claim dibs on it whenever you're done, and you can take my "Holiness" by J.C. Ryle (amazing).

PS:Please reply on my blog, or I'll never know you did.

Joshua Klein said...

John,
Please excuse the delay to respond. I am in the middle of hectic packing for moving. I have begun to write back, however, it might take a few more days. I would appreciate your patience and grace with me. Thank you dear brother! May God bless you beyond what we could conceive of!
-Joshua

Joshua Klein said...

Mike,
I was almost finished with it but then I needed to return it to the library. I am sorry brother. I do highly recommend it, though! Grace be with you, Mike!
-Joshua

Joshua Klein said...

Dear John,

I do want to thank you for visiting my blog. I have been blessed to hear response from you concerning things I have posted! Thank you very much! I wonder how did you find my page?
Concerning your response, I will attempt to answer to the best of my ability the questions you have posed. Please do forgive me. I am not a very eloquent writer so sometimes things don't look on paper (or on the computer screen) they way they do in my head.
First, the quote by Boettner that I posted blessed me very much because I think that it accurately represents what my heart is concerning the "Doctrines of Grace". I hope, brother, you would trust that I agree we are to follow no man but only what God has revealed in His word. However John, I am sure that there are teachers that you listen to and are blessed by when they teach according to gospel truth. I am not here to defend John Calvin, Martin Luther, Lorraine Boettner, or any other man, but only these doctrines because I believe this is what scripture teaches.
Because I believe in the force of gravity someone might call me a "Newtonist". Well, so be it. I would not be ashamed to proclaim that I believe in gravity. In the same way, brother, if because I believe the 5 doctrines that Arminus rejected, someone wanted to called me a "Calvinist", so be it. I claim no one as my head but the Lord Jesus Christ. It is true that through much prayer and study, I have been thoroughly convinced that God is absolutely sovereign in the salvation of men.
To get into doctrinal discussion through posting comments might be a bit tedious. It is not my goal to get into "wars and fightings" with my brothers and sisters. So, before we speak, it is my recommendation that you read an article and listen to a few sermons. I really struggled to understand these things for a while. I was very closed minded to it and refused to give it an honest look. It took some dying to my flesh to understand. John, if you are curious as to what changed my mind about these things, I would love to share them with you. The three things that proved most profitable in this particular study are…
1. an article called "Are There Two Wills in God?" by John Piper
2. an 8 part mp3 series called "The Doctrines of Grace" by Arturo G. Azurdia III
3. a book called "The Sovereignty of God" by A.W. Pink
About a year ago, I set to praying daily Ps 43:3, "O send out thy light and thy truth: let them lead me; let them bring me unto thy holy hill, and to thy tabernacles." and Ps 119:18, "Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law." I say this not to be arrogant but to encourage you to always trust that it is the supernatural power of God to make known spiritual things to us. (1 Cor 2:11-13) "For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual." Continue, dear brother, to set your heart to praying these things.
Please meditate on Prv 2:1-6 " My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee; So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding; Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding; If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures; Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God. For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding." Let us both humble ourselves under the mighty hand of God that He may exalt us in due time.
To address the question, "If Calvinism is correct, then how can you reconcile God's desire for all men to repent if He only predestinates certain of them to salvation? Calvinism makes no sense at all." I believe it would be beneficial to read "Are There Two Wills in God?" by John Piper. This really helped me understand so much more how it is that God can say, " For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord GOD: wherefore turn yourselves, and live ye." (Eze 18:32) and yet know that "hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth." (Rom 9:18) If you decide not to read that article, I am not sure that I can be of much help to you, brother.
Concerning the "New Evangelical Pastor" you speak of, I do agree John that this man is in grave error! Let us weep for him! He seems to misunderstand God's sovereignty in a way that is a very gross manipulation of scripture! The poor man does not understand that God not only has appointed the "ends" but also the "means". I am so glad that you were quick to respond with scripture on this very point! "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." (Rom 10:13) He has forgotten that God has ordained means to accomplish his sovereignly ordained ends. For, the text continues…"How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things! But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." (Rom 10:14-17)
I am very grateful for the Lord's work accomplished through our brother, Mr. Spurgeon. God has mightily given him the gift of writing and preaching! I am rather surprised to read your comments that Spurgeon did not believe the "5 points of Calvinism". Perhaps a reading some of his writings on human depravity, unconditional election, effectual grace, and perseverance of the saints would be helpful to you. Or perhaps better would be to read the "Exposition of the Doctrines of Grace" which he choose several fellow pastors to expound the doctrines of Calvinism for the inaugural ceremonies held at the Metropolitan Tabernacle, London, when it first opened. These sermons are pretty specific and clear about Spurgeon's doctrine.
O what a glorious truth it is to know "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." (Rom 10:13). I (as well as all of the historic biblical teachers) have never denied this, John. The problem you face with theologically is that "…there is none that calleth upon thy name, that stirreth up himself to take hold of thee…" (Isa 64:7) See, dear brother, no one calls on Him until he is given a new heart to repent and believe. Faith is a gift. (Eph 2:8-9) Repentance comes from faith. And all is a result of the new birth. "Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them. And ye shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers; and ye shall be my people, and I will be your God." (Eze 36:25-28) it after all that is when he explains, "Then shall ye remember your own evil ways, and your doings that were not good, and shall lothe yourselves in your own sight for your iniquities and for your abominations." (Eze 36:31) This is why our Lord said, "Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again." (Jn 3:7) So who will call on him? Those whom have been made new and willing by God's grace.
Those who will be made willing are the same whom the Father ordained before creation itself. For Eph 1:4-5 says, "According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will". So when we evangelize, who will come? Who will repent and believe? Will those not chosen come? The scripture saith…"And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed." (Act 13:48) All those and only those who were ordained to eternal life before the foundation of the world will come. No one in their fallen state will ever seek God. We are haters of God from birth. It is only regeneration that enables us to come.
It is not my concern to defend the writings of man whom I am not thoroughly read. I do not normally read John Calvin's works. (They are rather expensive to purchase.) I have no problem from what I have heard of his soteriology. However, I am no John Calvin expert. I am not very comfortable calling these doctrines "Calvinism" because it is not Calvin who first expounded these things. If we had to put a name to it perhaps it could be "Augustinian" or "Pauline". I do not prefer either of these still. I prefer "The Doctrines of Grace" because Divine Election and Effacious Grace are truly the most grace-magnifying doctrines known. Let it be known: Grace is the heart and soul of these truths!
Brother, please search these things out. Ask yourself, if these things were true, would you even want to believe them? I pray you would. May God continue to kindle a burning desire for truth seeking in your heart! May He teach you according to His glorious word in all things pertaining to life and godliness! May He be gracious to both you and I in teaching us truth and wisdom. Please pray for me as I pray for you, brother John.
"Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom. But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth. This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish. For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work. But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace." Jam 3:13-18
May His Grace be upon you, John.

Your brother in Christ.
Joshua